Friday 26 October 2012

Novel Writing Report

Pitching our stories was the main focus for the workshop this week. The idea behind the exercise was to prepare those of us seeking a publisher to be aware of the pitfalls and difficulties when promoting your work.

I decided to go with a novel that will be written as part of the NaNoWriMo 50,000 word challenge in November. I thought I was prepared, One page handout, done. Synopsis, done. Chapter outlines, done. Character sheets, done. Once I had given my spiel, Toby Farrier and the secret of the gold fountain pen would be a winner.

I was ready or so I thought. I should have practised the pitch instead of trying to wing it. Normally I have little problem when presenting a product but this was different, even though I knew the story well felt at home with the characters and was among friends, I choked. I knew it as soon as I opened my mouth and the words died on my tongue.

The lesson was not lost. I watched as each of my colleagues presented their work and why they should be accepted for publication. I learnt something from everyone and I have to commend Merlene Fawdrey for including this in her series of workshops, this one exercise has taught us much.

A big shout to author Chris Mack who absolutely smashed the presentation with her pitch. Not only did she know her work,but she came across confident and engaging. Hell we all had our hands in our pocket to buy her book, and yes she was that good. Check out Chris's blog by clicking on the link below.

To do this again I will do the following:
    • Dress for the part.  (clothes maketh the man and the presentation)
    • Practise the pitch beforehand.
    • Leave handouts until after the pitch.
    • Sell the story 80% the Author 20% (if the story doesn't capture the interest, the author talking about themselves  will be boring anyway)
    • Take nothing for granted.
I will put up my pitch over the weekend and ask for comments on Toby Farrier.


Chris Mack's Blog: http://chrismackauthor.wordpress.com/

 
Merlene Fawdrey : http://merlenefawdry.blogspot.com.au/

Julee Stillman:       http://juleestillman.blogspot.com.au/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Terry. The pitching was definitely a worthwhile exercise. I was just so glad to be able to generate some interest in my story. Most writers have some sort of personal attachment to their work, but with mine being a memoir, I definitely felt that attachment.

    ReplyDelete