Saturday 9 March 2013

Les Gillespie's Gold 'Cryptic Message'


In an attempt to put his mind to rest Joe Gillespie searches the property for clues and once more Les has left him a cryptic message carved into a slate stone.
 
This is my first draft of a poem that will help me to flesh out a couple of chapters in my new novel. I'm not intending to use it in the book for now but it will help me to create a scene with cause and effect action to introduce some new characters.
 
I hope you enjoy my draft.
 
 
 

The Chinaman’s Curse



This gift of gold I saved for you from deep within the ground

A pile or more lies hidden there in reef quartz like rivers sheen

From a winch you must descend to hear the water’s sound

And in its dampened darkness from your lamplight watch it gleam

 
My son now you have found my seam and behold its golden glow

Please remember me in loving terms and not when at my worse

It’s what gold fever’s done to me and a thing that you should know

The vapours they will linger long so beware the Chinese Curse
 

And beware the High Street Spruiker

And heed not the pull of greed when your pocket’s empty and bare

Stay clear of the sleazy spivs in spats who peddle mindless dope

And of the maid old and in rags a begging let not your eyes to stare

 
Beware of slick investors who want more than just your gold

This world has many treasure camped deep within its core

My secret is a keeper and through the years it’s only you I’ve told

For gold is not a treasure just currency it is really nothing more

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you're still forging ahead, Terry, and I can't wait to read your debut novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing it too. I understand your book is almost complete well done.

    ReplyDelete