Thursday 25 July 2013

How writing groups can help to improve your writing.

Yesterday I was welcomed back to my local writing group and it was good to get back among a group of friends with like minded goals. Wordsmiths of Melton is a critiquing group, and each member is given the opportunity to put forward a short story, poem, or a chapter from a longer work for comment and advice.
 
It was great to see how their novels had developed while I was away. I was pleased to be able to catch up with the adventures of the settlers in Les's novel: Redemption. this is science fantasy about Earth's colonisation of  the planet Arena. Caitlin has progressed well with her novel: The Adventures of Incredible Man. Her writing takes me back to the numerous comics I had as a kid. Back then I loved reading about Superman and the many other heroes that spawned in the pre television era.

Writing groups are usually small, about six to ten participants and everyone is at different stages of writing and have various skill strengths. That variation propels us forward.
 
To demonstrate how our group works, I thought that I would post the first draft of the story I put up for critique this week. Bearing in mind this was the very first hastily written draft I threw it into the mix to attract as many comments as I could.

Over the next few weeks you will be able to watch the story develop as I will re-draft the piece. Guided by my colleagues comments I hope to demonstrate how their critiques have helped to improve the piece:
 
Here is the first rough draft of the story I offered for critique.


Work boots and feral utes                


The wheel wrenched in her hands and Sarah felt the front of the Falcon dip. Metal screeched against the road and she caught a glimpse of the front wheel spearing off into the grass. A battle for control began as Jake’s old work ute slewed onto the verge. A tap of the brakes and then a desperate pump of the pedal did nothing it went to the floor. The handbrake didn’t work but she tugged on it anyway, nothing. Jake had tormented her from the time they married and finally today hope of a new start without him, and yet it seemed he controlled her again. Would she never be free?

A new beginning, all she had to do was get to the interview on time. Well that’s what the lady on reception said anyway. It wasn’t her first choice to drive to the other side of the city to work but other job applications had failed. Now with a rusted bombed out old ute collapsed on the side of the road she had missed this opportunity as well. Did he have to take everything? Her car, her phone, her money, her dignity. She couldn’t ask her parents, they told her he was no good when she ran off with him three years ago.

Cars swept past, no one stopping to help. A carload of louts jeered as they flew past at speed. She was late and without a phone she had no method of letting them know she’d broken down. The highway roared with traffic and as trucks flashed by their wind nearly blew her over. Waving them down had no effect and now it started to rain. Sarah would sit in the car and wait it out before trying to hail someone down again.

The drizzle subsided and she tried again. Two B-double semi trailers buzzed past, nose to tail their wheels whipping slush into a fine mist, drenching her. Catching a glimpse of her image in the window Sarah broke down. Her lovely suit looked ruined, shoes covered in mud and her hair a mess. She yanked the door open breaking a nail and slumped into the seat, slamming the door in anger. What could she do? She rested her head and arms on the steering wheel, her energy drained away.

‘Hello Miss.’ a male voice said. ‘Are you okay?’

Sarah had drifted off. Turning to see where the voice was coming from she noticed his eyes. ‘Not really, I’ve got a bit of car trouble.’

‘Yeah, I can see that.’ The wheel landed with a thump on the ute’s tray. ‘I was working the other end of the paddock when I saw you parked here. I reckoned you couldn’t have a phone when you were out in the rain. Name’s Matt by the way.’

‘My first day at work, but I reckon that’s gone now.’ She said. ‘Sorry, hello Matt, I’m Sarah.’

‘Look I’ve given my mate Robbo a call and one of his blokes will come out in the truck and get this off the road. Ally, my wife and I live in the house over there. Come on, I called her on the CB and she said you should come up and dry off in the kitchen. Then she’ll drive you to where you want to go when she does the school run.’

Bummer, a wife and kids too, the thought rumbled around in Sarah’s mind, but she was glad of his offer. ‘Thanks’. She said.

‘What type of job were you going to?’ Ally asked as they drove to the workshop where the ute was waiting.

‘Oh a only bookkeeping job in Richmond, but it will be well gone by now.’

Ally didn’t say anything more about the job, and they nattered about nothing and everything as the car wound through the Industrial area to where the workshop was.

‘I’ll go in and bring him out. His place is full of leery calendars and blokes with one track minds, and I reckon you could do without any more of that today?’

It seemed like an age then from the darkness Sarah saw Ally walk out accompanied by a man in his thirties, jeans, white muscle tee shirt and steel capped boots. His hair neatly cropped and a bit like Hugh Jackman in the face she thought. Nothing like any of the mechanics she’d met before.

‘I’m Robbo Ally’s brother, I can’t do much with your car today, in fact it’s probably better off going to the wreckers for what you’d spend on fixing it.’

‘That good eh?’

‘Sorry, Ally tells me you’ve missed your first day at work and you’re a book keeper.’

‘Yeah but I don’t understand.’

‘You could help me out. I’m up to my ears in it. Bookkeeping I mean, and I’ve been looking for someone to keep it up for a while now. I just haven’t advertised. Anyway, would you be interested?
Robbo waited on her answer.

Wordsmith's general comments:

Things to work on:
  • Improve the grammar with sentence structure
  • Title is great but requires capitals
  • Was she going for an interview or a job? Requires an explanation in the writing.
  • What was it she couldn't ask her parents for?
  • The CB why wouldn't he use a phone?
  • Ally needs to be somewhere, the reader can get confused here.
  • It would be unlikely for some one in this situation to 'drop off' , suggest a rework of the sentence.
  • Sarah says 'Yeah but I don't understand?' what is it she doesn't understand. needs expanding.
  • How does she now they are steel capped boots.
  • The ending is unresolved.
Things that worked:
  • Realistic dialogue, I liked it a lot
  • This has all of the elemnts of a romance except there is not enough of it.
  • Overall I liked the story, I think you are a bit of a romantic at heart.
  • I really enjoyed the fell of the story, the pain,despair hopelessness, making wrong life choices. The way it kicks you when you're down, then gives you a second chance.
  • I liked the concept of the story, the thought f everything going wrong and then hope revealing itself. The opening paragraph got me in.
  • You could feel her frustration in the opening, being controlled and hemmed in. The characters portrayed good country people who are friendly and helpful so they came across as real. The story moved welladding variety to each setting and person.
  • Great opening paragraph. You introduce character and internal conflict against a background of external conflict. Lots of great verbs and a real sense of actiongoing on here.
Overall our members liked the context of the story but felt it required some fleshing out in some areas and more clarification in others.
During the next couple of weeks I will rewrite the piece and put it before the group again to see how they view it a second time. I will keep you posted with the developments.



6 comments:

  1. Offering a draft of a story, rather then something polished to perfection, is the best way to get constructive critique within a writing group context. You're off to a good start with this story and I can see its potential. It seems you received some sound suggestions, all of which will provide reflection and offer direction as you progress with this story and I'll be interested in watching your story evolve. To add my two bob's worth, I agree with most of the comments and the use of CB (even though these are still in use this could date your story)

    Why does a title need capitals? Only the first word of a title must have a capital, after that it is matter of house style or individual preference. It is a great title, but not for this particular story unless you want to change it substantially - as it gives a different expectation to the reader - gives it a blokey feel when the protagonist is a woman. A title should reflect the story - in this instance a new beginning or new opportunities arising out of the darkness.

    A good critique is more than finding what's wrong with a story, it's also about identifying what works and why and I'd be interested in reading how the group members balanced their criticism with these acknowledgements - for this is what forms the difference between criticism and critique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Merlene,

    I will post what the group found they liked about the story too, as it polishes my ego.
    I appreciate your comments on the use of capitals
    in a title as we had a robust discussion on the topic. I guess my farm machinery background is still evident although many farmers actively use the CB system as a quick and inexpensive means of communication.

    Now I'd better get back to Les Gillespie.

    Cheers,

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with a bit of ego polish. I agree with all the comments about what worked, especially all the positives for the opening para.

    To save time wasted on robust (but unnecessary) discussion about capitals in titles, refer p134, of the Style manual for Australian authors, editors and printers - a copy on the table at every meeting soon separates the knows from the know nots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try to borrow one for our next meeting thanks for the page number.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They've got copies in the library, Terry. You could pick one up on your way through to the meeting and return it on your way out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I've redrafted this story and possibly created even more punctuation gaffs. I am concentrating on fixing the flow of the story first so hope to do a bit of editing over the weekend. Watch out for it next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete