Thursday 5 June 2014

WHAT A MESS


During one of our Wordsmiths of Melton, workshops. Our facilitator, Beverley Eikli asked us to write up to ten lines beginning with, what a mess. It didn't have to be a poem or anything specific but the words just sang to me and I heard a rhythm to them.
 
This is my effort. 
 
What a mess I’ve made of life

Gone my home, my kids, my wife

At twenty three I found the booze

So much to win I could not lose

Came the cards and pokies too

I put an end to me and you


Oh what a mess I’ve made of life

No house no car no loving wife


My kids they have no time for me

I stand here now, old at forty three

I know that I could lick the booze

There is nothing left for me to lose

Banned from clubs for counting cards

I ache to here our children in the yard


Oh what a mess I’ve made of life

No home no kids no loving wife
 

I wander to my squat alone

Nobody here to share my home

I brought this sadness down on me

A foolish man who would not see

The damage selfish acts would do

It brought an end to me and you

 
Oh what a mess I’ve made of life

No hope no home no loving wife.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't inspiration a wonderful thing? It can be tapped at the most unexpected moments. A great poem, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beverley, I tend to have a click track running in my mind lately and rhymes pop up everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I would have loved that session! Sorry I missed it. Great poem Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beverley will be with us again the week after next. Should be a good session hope you can make it.

    ReplyDelete