Saturday 19 July 2014

Looking for Les Gillespie's Gold


Spent today in the Orroroo area seeking the location of Les Gillespie's lost gold reef, I thought it may have been somewhere in the ranges of hills between Hammond and Carrieton. A further drive through the Oladdie Gorge and I am no closer to finding it. More work required. I did take some photos to help me with time and place. Take a look at Joe Gillespie's country in winter.






Hereford Cow took an interest in us as I tried to get her picture. House in the background was abandoned in the sixties












Oladdie staging house between Johnburgh and Carrierton.







The small outbuilding in the is built on the same line as the main building, this would have functioned as a hotel, ticket office and homestead in the early days.




















Coal gas exploration threatens Joe and Laura's way of life, these are test holes similar to those drilled by RAYDOR Exploration on the properties of Joe's  neighbours.

With plenty of good information tucked into notebooks and the computer I need to get down to writing and help Joe find this reef before Charles Winkler does.

1 comment:

  1. Well I read your Blog Terry (as I always do) This time I am placing a short comment so you can be assured I do take time for all.
    I read much, but many times I overlook just to answer.
    Oladdie was Grandmother Gibb's ( nee Tapscott ) birth place & Johnburg was Murray, West, Bert, Alton & Lindsay Gibbs child hoods "play grounds" Lindsay told me that Murray had moved to Orroroo to do mechanical work on cars ( under the old Pepper Trees ) Lindsay had enough of milking cows etc ---- So he packed a bag, and rode his pushbike from Johnburgh to Orroroo and joined up with Murray --- Many old yarns have been handed onto me. Some funny, some more serious.
    Cheers Allen & all

    ReplyDelete