Wednesday 3 February 2016

Christmas Eve in Orroroo (first draft)

For Annie

I’m in love with a princess
In a faraway land
I imagine her home
And the places she’ll see
And hope that she smiles
If she’s thinking of me

This month it is Christmas
And the trees in her park
Are covered in snow
While here in the outback
A summer Christmas we know
And we have a tree in the corner
Trimmed with tinsel too

Carols come from all corners tonight
Children waiting for Santa
Will keep their eyes closed tight
I close my eyes and see in my mind
Stockings hang from a mantel
Above a fire in the grate
And for Santa too, they wait

Her cousins out here in the bush
Take their places in the Christmas parade
There’s clowns with coloured barrows to push
A tradition we keep where memories are made
Floats decorated in green red and blue
And Annie I hope it’s a sight
My words bring to you

Outside the shops they still pipe
Those old Christmas songs
And the floats might be corny
But the spirits still here
A street full of faces spreading good cheer
And right down the back
At the end of the parade
In a little green car
Santa arrives, always the star.

Old eyes become misty
When we remember the days
When we were once young
In this street where we played
Now cousin Geoff drives the car
And he does his best
Now Uncle Murray has gone to his rest.

So now my princess from over the sea
I hope you have a Christmas as merry can be

For I’m in love with you, Princess
In your faraway land
I imagine you home
And the places you see
And hope that you smile

When you’re thinking of me

2 comments:

  1. Very well written Terry, I can envision the Christmas parade coming down the road in a old Country town.
    Just wondering if spelling mistake first line 4th paragraph should read 'out' and you have 'our'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Tracey, I have fixed the error and it makes sense now. Fat fingers and a small keyboard can catch me out.

    ReplyDelete