Sunday 27 August 2017

A Marriage

 A MARRIAGE

The Pain You Bear, Is the Pain We Share


It’s that pleasure and pain time again
Her head will for days now thump
She lifts her hand to feel blood pump
It’s been with her a long long time
She smiles and says
“Long enough to call it mine”

I look at her and she at me
Pain was writ where her smile should be
She’s tried a vast array of pills
Pounded pavement round the doctors
And paid their bills
It’s not a migraine or so they say
Take this pill and it’ll go away

Another year and the pain’s still there
And silver streaks highlight her hair.
Her smile is still where it belongs
And she takes my hand and makes me strong
I find comfort in what she can do
She smiles and gives my hand a squeeze
And we turn our faces to the breeze

While the sun begins to set upon our life
I gaze at her and see all the wonder

And the beauty of you, my wife





EDNA PROBERT
Orroroo
1948

No comments:

Post a Comment